Losing a close one in this world is always painful. But this is the truth of human existence: it must come to an end by God’s will. This revelation always comes down upon us when we attend a funeral. The fragility of the man’s existence combined with the fear and pain of losing loved ones make a person more humble and appreciable of the present.
It is always soothing to recite God’s words in funeral services or remember our connection to him by writing his word on the headstone. Here is a compiled list of Bible verses for funerals and headstones which will come in handy in such unfortunate situations.
The Sixteen Best Bible Verses for funerals
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. -Mathews 5:4
- And we know that for those who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
- Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. -Mathews 11:28-30
- But, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love. -Lamentations 3:32
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. -Psalm 34:18
- Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. -John 14:1-3
- Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. -Revelations 2:10
- For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:7-8
- Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. -1 Corinthians 15:51-57
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
- For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. -2 Corinthians 5:1
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. -Psalm 23:4
- He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? -Romans 8:32
- So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. -1 Corinthians 15:42-44
- For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this, we declare to you by a word from the Lord that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord, himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words. -1 Thessalonians 4:14-18
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.-John 3:16
Our Final Thoughts
The Bible verses for funerals are a cure for those bleeding hearts which mourn their lost ones. These beautiful, humbling verses remind us about the hold and power of God, which is unmatchable and inextinguishable. These worldly relations and materialistic dreams will all vanish in front of God and Jesus Christ. So being a good Christian and leading a life according to the teachings of the Bible can elevate your status and bring upon blessings on you.